GIF Studio added one option to improve GIF image qualities in V1.9.7 Beta version. In the “Save” dialog, user can select the Movie quality “Filter” check box to enable the option. This will apply filters on the color space of the image, which may improve its quality in certain cases. If user left the “Filter” unchecked, the apk will use tis default filtering method. Since each filter has its own pro and cons, this page demonstrates their general usages.
The following GIFs are generated from GIF Studio with or without “Filter” option. If the user does not mind a little grainy on the image, the “Filter” option is desirable. It can eliminate the color band effects in GIF compression.
Apply Filter to improve GIF image qualities
From the result comparisons, we concluded the “Filter” option can enhance the GIF’s quality if it’s used properly. For some cases, it even degrades the image quality.
User should select the “Filter” option when
- The photo contains out focus field or blur areas
- There are smooth transitions or gradient surfaces
- The image is colorful and cover large color spectrum
- The output GIF is large and scene is complex and many details
The cases that “Filter” may fail to give good results
- The image contains simple colored shapes
- The image can be represented using reduced color palette
- The image is monochrome in color
- The Filter is already applied in previous manipulations
We are keep exploring new method and algorithms to improve the quality of GIF. At the mean time, we like to hear how you interact with GIF Studio. Give us your feedback, together, we make GIF Studio a better application!
Ready for action, GIF Studio Apk is now available on Google PlayTM.